Having a car is nice in Breck, but airport rentals at DIA are pretty pricey.
- Sign-up for these text alerts to get real-time info
- The app or mobile site from CDOT (Colorado Dept or Trans) is good, but don't app and drive.
- Once your in the mountains, don't take short cuts that Google or Waze might suggest - you might wind up on snowmobile trails.
- You don't need to rent a hummer. Pretty much any AWD SUV or front wheel drive sedan will be fine. If the roads are bad, it won't be your car's set up thats a problem, it will be the other drivers. Watch out for CO plates with red letters/numbers - they're likely the rentals. And, stay away from Texans!
- If you shuttle up, pretty everyone uses Peak to Peak Express or Colorado Mountain Express. They have shared ride vans are a decent value, but they can be a cattle car.
- If you don't have a big party, getting a car with a fold down, 60:40 split seat is a great way to save money over renting a ski rack.
- Who knows what the weather will be like, but Interstate 70 is kept is good shape. Again, the issue is the other drivers, more often than not.